Crossposted from the SFU blog on BGG
After way too many delays, version 2.0 of the Vassal module for Federation & Empire is officially out, and available for download from ADB. There have been some small fixes over the last few months, but mostly I’ve been trying to get the gumption to get extra scenario setups done. It’s past the point of delay for no gain, so the module has been released without all of them done.
New features of 2.0:
* Both regular and large-scale maps.
* New counter art, which is easier for me to work with than the old set.
* The ISC, LDR, Vudar, and Seltorians are in the main module.
* The stack viewer counts ships and SEs. This isn’t nearly as good as it sounds because I can’t do the 0.5 for cripples, but it will be easy to update if/when Vassal becomes able to do it.
* Captured ships can be flagged to their new owner, and show up in the tracking under the owning empire.
* The regular map features sector and cordon borders as layers that can be turned on and off as needed. (This ate the memory of most testers on the large map, sadly.)
* All bases, and ships with multiple EW settings, can be set to their current usage, which will adjust the AF in reports.
* Combined MON+pallet and TUG+pod counters are in the module.
* New markers added, such as ‘Free Strat’ to note just built/repaired ships.
You can see the look of the new module, and the large-scale map in my reporting on Bel and I’s game of the Four Powers War.
Scenario setups are included for the first few scenarios of the General War in both sizes. The small map also has setups for the Maelstrom and Winds of Fire. Future releases will include setups for 4PW, ISC conquest, and Minor Empires (note that the initial Seltorian force is already present in these setups, allowing you to use them when your game gets that far) for both size maps.
The zip file also contains a PDF explaining some of the fine points of the module.
Before I go, I’d like to mention that it’s a little annoying that even at 50 pixels, the counters are so small. Just about every base hull is a different graphic, but many of the differences just aren’t visible at that size. So, here’s a few counters closer to the size I see them at in CorelDraw:
Please, feel free to make comments and ask questions!